Sunday, October 18, 2009

Blueprint failure

I recently read about the Blueprint Music Festival which has been declared a complete and utter failure with the founders now being hounded for thousands of unpaid dollars. I thought this was a really good example of when things turn bad in arts organisations and could hear all the recent lectures in my head.

So, the website seems promising and professional, the founders on the ball enough, good bands, good idea. "Trying to start a new trend in Australian music festivals!" I say fair enough, yes i am sick of the overpriced, over crowded, toilet overflowing festivals too.

Here is an article on loudnlocal promising an amazing experience.

And here is their MySpace page, again full of promises...

The Blueprint Festival was developed by two young brothers, Tristan, 23, and Aaron, 20 Gray of Mitcham. And after reading several articles about what went wrong and why, I do honestly feel for these guys. I think they genuinely wanted to do something different, fun and amazing.

However , as one of the brothers stated:

'I've got nothing, I've got no job, I've got nowhere to live. My life is ruined,'' To those he has left owing money, he said: ''I'm sorry … I never thought it would turn out like this.''
(From The Age article)

I feel really bad for these guys!!!

Some further reading includes:

-The Age "An unintended blueprint for a festival fiasco"

-The Courier "Blueprint Music Festival organisers fail to pay Ballarat bands"

and written a couple of days later,

- The Courier "Blueprint Music Festival organisers pay some bands"

From my understanding the brothers are now in hiding as they owe many people a lot of money and have no assets and no money to pay people back.

So i wonder what went so badly wrong??

They must have been really unprepared for this sort of thing, or naive, or...stupid? thats mean but something did go terribly wrong, something that all the sponsors, bands and patrons did not see coming.

I put it down to an unclear Vision and Mission statement and not enough Gant Charts (hehe for all you Masters in Arts Management students...)

3 comments:

  1. It is a sad story. Sometimes these gambles just don't pay off. That said, I'm sure you're right about the Gant charts, but perhaps a budget was the most important management tool they should have used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure, but you seriously would have thought with all the sponsors and people involved that they would have had to done that!? they must have overlooked something very important! It does look like you pay that obscene amount of money for a reason though...

    ReplyDelete