Thursday, September 24, 2009

I did some volunteer work at the Melbourne International Animation Festival earlier this year.

I worked with one of people who runs it, she was a great insight into the inner-workings of a great festival. She did inform me that it was pretty much solely run, developed etc by 2, yes 2 (!!) people. It made me very tired just thinking about how they did it all! The great thing about the volunteering was that I saw nearly the entire program for FREE.

I've noticed as well that some of them are on youtube, so I thought I would share some of my favourites with you.

So probably my favourite funny one is called Fantasie in Bubble Wrap by Arthur Metcalf, USA in 2007.

(***oh and there is swearing in this film***)



I think its generally cute and clever while being rather shocking and sad, oh so sad, but funny.

Another funny one that i really liked was Rex The Dog 'Bubblicious' by Geoffroy De Crecy, France, 2008



Again very clever and the bad 80s music makes it :) Its interesting to see how they develop that kind of animation too.

ok now on a more serious note the next animation stuck with me.

Hungu by Nicolas Brault, Canada, 2008.



Hungu was made out of sand! I really loved the sounds in this film, the great imagery and the pace of it. Such an emotive, moving film I thought.

This next one I had seen before the film festival but it was even better on the big screen. I'm sure some of you would have seen/heard about it. It's seriously amazing! Take some time to watch this if you haven't already...

MUTO Blu Italy, 2007



Click here for the Blu website.

I wonder how long that took!...

2 comments:

  1. That's amazing stuff Carla. Thanks for an excellent youtube procrastination break. The thing that amazes me is how much time they must take to put together.

    Oh, and now I'll feel guilty about popping bubblewrap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yeah i love the bubble wrap one! My sister has a game on her iphone where you pop bubble wrap...i feel guilty whenever i play it:)

    ReplyDelete